Communications Intern or Associate
Megaphone is a not-for-profit social justice media strategy firm that reflects the movement we are trying to build. We are majority queer, majority people of color, and majority women. Our mission is to use communications as a tool to diversify the media and politics. We partner with frontline communities, political campaigns, and impactful social justice groups to break through and win on a range of progressive issues and electoral campaigns.
Position: Communications Intern or Associate. This is a full-time position based in Washington, DC — but currently remote on the East Coast time zone — that is 50% media relations, 20% digital media, and 30% administrative support.
Who we are looking for:
– Relationship builders — you actively build relationships with partners, reporters, and team members through dependability, hard work, empathy, and a sense of humor.
– Movement people — you have a commitment to social justice and an active practice of learning when it comes to social justice, inequality, and intersectionality.
– News junkies — you love consuming news across all platforms whether it’s your local paper, TMZ, CNN, Huffington Post, Intercept, Ebony or mitú.
– Innovators — you want to help build something new.
– Talented researchers — you are adept at finding info about topics and people online.
– Communicators — you are good on the phone and are a solid writer with familiarity or experience with producing content in digital platforms.
– Passionate details people — you love spreadsheets, tight agendas for meetings, calendars, and ensuring that details don’t fall through the cracks.
– Radical Kindness.
In a typical month, you would:
– Draft press materials like statements, press releases, media advisories, and communications plans.
– Contribute to creative, strategy, and planning for digital campaigns.
– Help with execution of digital strategy. Assist with drafting content for social media, email, and other digital channels.
– Work with the team to pitch events and key partner moments to local, state, and national reporters, editors, and bookers.
– Research, build, and maintain lists of reporters covering key issue areas and regions.
– Staff protests, direct actions, press conferences, and galas as needed.
– Copy edit press releases, statements, opinion pieces, and partnership proposals.
– Create and maintain organization of partner materials in Google Docs.
– Bottom-line administrative tasks such as scheduling, preparation for meetings, and media briefings.
– Research media coverage of our partners and produce clips reports.
– Stay up to date on the news by surveying key sites 2-3 times per day and noting for your teammates when big moments happen.
– Attend happy hours and events around DC to build your professional network.
We need you to have:
– Interns: 0-2+ years of experience in media relations, social justice, and/ or politics.
– Associates: 1-4+ years of experience in media relations, digital communications, social justice, and/ or politics, with at least one year in media relations specifically.
– Deep commitment and passion for social justice and intersectionality.
– A talent for writing and copy editing.
Bonus if you have:
– Spanish language fluency.
– HTML or other coding experience.
– Prior work history at a PR firm, political campaign, political or not-for-profit social justice organization, or in direct actions and protests.
– Experience drafting written materials for external audiences, ideally in the format of press releases, statements, advisories.
– Experience drafting social media posts or emails for political candidates, social justice organizations or campus groups, or movement leaders.
Salary and benefits: Associate level positions at Megaphone pay $40-45,000/ year depending on experience. Interns at Megaphone are paid $35,000/ year as temporary full time staff for 3 months, with the potential for a long term associate position at the end of the internship, depending on fit and budget. Health, dental, and vision insurance are fully covered for employees (including interns) and their families. Associate positions are also eligible for our 401k; short/ long term disability and life insurance; and our unlimited vacation policy with a two week minimum. Megaphone closes for 10 federal holidays and for the final week of the year.
To apply: please email your resume, three writing samples or example story placements, and answers to the questions below with the subject line “Megaphone Intern” or “Megaphone Associate” to: hello@MegaphoneStrategies.com. Applications preferred by August 21st.
Questions for your application:
– Why do you want to work at Megaphone?
– What drives you to work on social justice?
– What would you bring to this position?
– If you are on any progressive candidate or organizational email lists, which are your favorites and why?
– What progressive organizational or candidate twitter account is your favorite and why?
Megaphone Strategies is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity at all levels. People of color, disabled folks, immigrants, LGBTQ+ folks, and people at the intersections of multiple marginalized identities are encouraged to apply.